Monday, March 24, 2008

The Night of Bush Capturing: A Virtual Jihadi

Well first of all, how lame of the city to cite a code violation as an excuse to shut down the show. Did they think anyone would buy that? I mean, come on, really? I can see, however, how the game could seem threatening to some. I mean, lets be honest, there are definitely people out there who would think that the game was encouraging suicide bombings and assassination attempts on Bush, and should some people actually be moved to undertake such tasks, it certainly wouldn't be good. And technically, if something is viewed as presenting "clear and present danger" then according to some supreme court case I can't remember it isn't protected as free speech. That being said, it might be a hard case for the city to prove. Not to mention time and resource consuming, hence the cop out with the code violation. All in all this could be a bit of a sticky subject especially since it's already sensitive subject matter. If it's seen as trying to recruit suicide bombers to the cause of offing Bush than I think that the city has a right to shut it down, but since it is really trying to "bring attention to the vulnerability of Iraqi civilians to the travesties of the current war and racist generalizations and stereotypes as exhibited in games such as Quest for Saddam; along with vulnerability to recruitment by violent groups like Al Qaeda because of the U.S.'s failed strategy in securing Iraq," as well as shedding "light on groups that traffic in crass and hateful stereotypes of Arab culture with games like Quest for Saddam and other media" then it is really a shame that it was shut down. Again...sticky situation. That pretty much sums it up.

In other news, I can't think of a good game idea (big surprise, right? not really AT ALL!). I have one that involves a polar bear and ice chunks and rising water, but I don't know what level 2 would be, I am not totally in love with the idea, and I am not thrilled to try to animate a polar bear. SO basically I am still trying frantically to come up with something. Hopefully some random inspiration strikes me before 9:00 am tomorrow when I have class.

No comments: